Jason Henderson's FB Feed

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Alex Van Helsing Reader Mail

Robb from Anchorage writes:
Hey I'm just writing to say I finished the first Alex Van Helsing book and I loved it. It was refreshing to have a return to vampires as scary fiends that scuttle about on the outside of buildings. But really everything was a success. The setting (I've only been through Switzerland on the train but Ahhh, Switzerland)  The martial arts. The historical touches. Not Going for Dracula right away. And you even worked in the Scholomance! The only thing that is kind of annoying, would be the waiting another year for the sequel. Thanks a lot for that.

Anyway, I wanted to say I enjoyed it immensely and I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to read it. (I've got to get to her before her aunt can get her hooked on the sparkly vampires. yeesh)

Robb
Anchorage Ak.


Thanks Robb! 
I think this is officially the first reader letter I've ever gotten. So I definitely owe you a response!

First, I love your description of vampires as scuttling around the outside of buildings. I love that image, and yes-- in the Alex books, the vampires are sociopaths. (I think it's possible in this universe you could have a kind and gentle vampire as an anomaly, but I think they'd be in a lot of danger.) Every book we'll see a plot driven in some way or another by the vampires and sorcerers of the Scholomance. They are Alex's SPECTRE.

By the way, I've seen the cover for Alex Van Helsing: Voice of the Undead, which is the second book, and I hope you dig it.

Glad to get questions from readers!

1 comment:

  1. First, yay! for the first fan letter. Two, I think "scuttling" will be a new fav word. Three, when do we get to see the cover for book two?

    ReplyDelete