Jason Henderson's FB Feed

Thursday, June 2, 2011

What is Jason Henderson Reading?: Voice of the Undead Countdown Minus 53

With Alex Van Helsing: Voice of the Undead coming out on July 26, I'm counting down 60 cool vampire things. Today:

What is Jason Henderson Reading?
I was asked to contribute to a blog run by a group called Campaign for the American Reader on what I tend to read, filtered through what I happened to be reading at the moment. I loved this assignment because I got a chance to talk about how important reading is to me-- and moreover, how much I've come to believe that you can do yourself a disservice by reading too much depressing material without letting up.

For several years nonfiction dominated my reading list until it began to overwhelm me; I was reading a lot of cynical war histories and after a while it was seeping into my everyday thoughts: everything in life was a cluster**** like the wars I was spending all my time reading about. This brings up another important point: no reader gets out of a book completely untouched; you will be affected by what you read. This means you should think carefully before spending time with a work. I still read some depressing nonfic, but I try to mix it up a little more.
Check it out for my thoughts on the Annotated Dracula, Danny PearyCult Movies: The Classics, the Sleepers, the Weird, and the Wonderful, and how much everyone is going to love Ernie Cline's Ready Player One.

Go to Writer's Read: Jason Henderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment