Jason Henderson's FB Feed

Monday, July 11, 2011

Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League Script by @erniecline (Voice of the Undead Countdown Minus 14)

With Alex Van Helsing: Voice of the Undead coming out on July 26, I'm counting down 60 cool (often vampire) things. Today:

Ernie Cline's Script for Buckaroo Banzai Against the World Crime League.

I recently watched BUCKAROO BANZAI on DVD, and you know, it has everything that makes me want to be a writer-- at any moment you look at the film, you feel as though you're seeing a far smaller fraction of the movie's reality than a normal movie would suggest. With most movies, one gets the sense that the characters hardly existed before the film and will probably sputter away shortly afterwards. BUCKAROO goes on and on, and encourages you to believe the well is deep, deep. And it should have been deeper-- after the outstanding curtain call at the end (seen below), the credits promised a return: "Against the World Crime League."

And at least some of the world waited.

Writing possibly the single most storied spec script ever written-- Sci-Fi World Magazine even ran an article about it-- Ernest Cline of the soon-to-be megahit Ready Player One created "BBAWCL" as a fan-fueled lark. At Cline's blog, the writer explains:

It was the BB sequel I’d always wanted to see, and I knew that other die-hard Banzai fans would probably get a kick out of it. So I posted the script online, where it quickly spread to the far reaches of the Internet. In the months that followed, I received literally hundreds of emails from other Banzai fans writing to tell me how much they enjoyed the script. This was incredibly gratifying, and something I never expected when I was writing it.
Amazing, really. Go to Cline's blog to check out the script and download it, and don't forget to pre-order Ready Player One, which is just fantastic.

The wonderful Buckaroo Banzai curtain call:

No comments:

Post a Comment