Jason Henderson's FB Feed

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Monster Squad


Holy Monster Christmas, there was nothing ever like The Monster Squad. Now, I'm not talking about the 80s movie of that name-- no, no. I'm talking about the 70s children's show.

For those who will need reminding, back in the 70s there was a period where TV networks found it economical to make low-budget, live-action shows for Saturday morning, to play after cartoons. There were many, but one of these was "The Monster Squad," in which a young criminologist somehow brings to life Dracula, The Frankenstein Monster, and the Wolf Man, whereupon they form a crime-fighting team that tools around in a black Mystery-Machine-style custom van.

I had the board game, seen above.

Below is a link to the opening and a few painful moments of the show itself. I can't speak for the show in its entirety, but no cleverness is to be found here. But for some of you, this will trigger something amazing. For my part, in 1977 I was extraordinarily impressed-- I was five-- and the idea of a team featuring Dracula! and Frankenstein! And the Wolf Man! In a van!-- what more could anyone ask?



(Where did this video come from? Why, from those Archivists of All Things Groovy, 70slivekidvid.com .)

No comments:

Post a Comment